SECTION 26 - HAY AND GRAIN COMPETITION/SHOW
Chairperson: Tim Armstrong (905) 838-1953
- Field entries close Monday, September 11th, 2017, all other entries close Thursday, September 14TH at 11:30 a.m.
2. Grain to be shown in containers provided by fair.
3. Exhibitors may only show one entry per class but may enter in every class in section.
4. All grain and seed must be grown by exhibitor in 2016 and 2017 and not treated.
5. No two persons can show products from the same field.
6. The quantity to be shown in each class-half bushel of grain; quarter bushel of seed; 3 flakes of hay.
7. Exhibitors must complete entry form and entry tag and must be legibly displayed with each entry.
8. Exhibits must be entered between 6:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m., Wednesday, September 13, 2017 and 9:00 a.m. and 11:30 a.m., Thursday, September 14, 2017 and remain in place until 5:30 p.m. Sunday, September 17, 2017.
9. A membership of $5.00 shall be made payable to Region of Peel Agricultural Society.
10. Exhibits not picked up by Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 6:00 p.m. become the property of the Region of Peel Agricultural Society.
Note: All prizes in the Hay and Grain Competition may be in the form of a voucher from the sponsoring business with the amounts listed referring to the amount of the voucher.
Classes 1 to 9 & 11a– 1st - $10.00, 2nd - $8.00, 3rd - $7.00, 4th - $5.00
Classes 10a & 10b– 1st - $15.00, 2nd - $8.00, 3rd - $7.00, 4th - $5.00
Class 11 b – 1st - $12.00, 2nd - $9.00, 3rd - $7.00, 4th - $5.00
Class 12 – 1st - $10.00, 2nd - $8.00, 3rd - $7.00, 4th - $5.00, 5th and all other - $5.00
- Fall wheat, any variety, named. Sponsored by Alliance Agriturf
- Oats, any variety, named. Sponsored by Alliance Agriturf
- Barley, any variety, named. Sponsored by Alliance Agriturf
- Mixed grain, barley and oats. Sponsored by Alliance Agriturf
- Shelled grain corn. Sponsored by Alliance Agriturf
- 10 cobs of corn for grain, any variety, named. Sponsored by Alliance Agriturf
- First cut alfalfa hay; three flakes (small bale) or one flake (large bale); named. Sponsored by Tim Armstrong.
- Second cut alfalfa hay; three flakes (small bale) or one flake (large bale), named. Sponsored by Tim Armstrong
- Horse hay, 1st or 2nd cut grass or grass/alfalfa. Sponsored by Tim Armstrong.
10a. Soybeans, judged in field.
10b. Grain or silage corn, judged in field. Sponsored by Pioneer Seed (Abbie Brander).
11a. Soybeans, stalks at fair, named.
11b. Grain corn, 6 stalks, 8 ears at fair, named. Sponsored by Pioneer Seed (Abbie Brander).
12 4-H Artistic Display - Sponsored by Brenda Bebbington– Depicts a topic related to 4-H OR depict a topic related to agriculture to celebrate Canada’s 150th anniversary using seeds, grains and field crop materials. Display must be mounted on wood. Size: NOT TO EXCEED 15 “ x 15” (37 cm x 37 cm) by 1.5” (4 cm) deep or exhibit will be disqualified. Note: The materials used do not have to be produced by the exhibitor: they may be procured from local producers. Creativity with the topic is encouraged! Please note that entries from previous years will not be accepted. If the exhibitor is using the 4-H logo, please ensure that it is the Canadian or Ontario 4-H logo.. A border is not required but is suggested to protect the entry from damage due to handling. Open to 4-H members only. No entry fee.
Note: Entries for the 4-H Artistic Display will be displayed in the Peel Junior Farmers’ Hall - Homecraft Display area for security and to avoid damage.
Judging Notes: Field crops in field to be scored while standing in field near maturity. Consideration given to purity of variety, freedom from weeds and other plants, freedom from plant disease and insects, stand and vigor of crop, neatness of headlands, fences, etc. To make corn field crops eligible, eight ears and six stalks must be exhibited at fair from that field. The ensilage or grain corn (at fair) will be separately judged on its own merits. All entries for in field judging must be given to Tim Armstrong on or before September 11th, 2017. All other rules and regulations as set out under Section 26 will apply.