SECTION 48 - ADULT FLOWERS
Convenors: Eleanor Cation 416-587-1615
Marlene McClure 905-838-5416
Associates: Marsha Christie, Connie D’Sousa, Helen Dunstan, Joan Ewan, Shirley Grice, Jeanette Langevin, Glenda Richardson &
- Flowers must be grown by exhibitor unless otherwise specified.
- Plants must be in possession of the exhibitor at least two months prior to show.
- Weighted containers must be used for top-heavy exhibits.
- Please write “New Exhibitor” on the back of entry tag if you are a new exhibitor to this section.
- This section is for non-professionals only.
- Ontario Judging and Exhibiting Standards for Horticulture and Floral Design will be the accepted guide for judging. http://www.gardenontario.org/abo/judging.php
- Containers must be leak proof to be judged.
- Container for floral arrangement should be compatible in size to floral arrangement (floral arrangement approx. 1.5 times the size of container).
- Plant pot diameter not to exceed 10” (approx. 25 cm) in diameter, length or width, unless otherwise specified.
- Decorative arrangements do not contain soil.
- Plants infested with insects will be disqualified and removed from exhibit hall.
- Please be sure your entry is in the correct class to avoid disqualification.
- Cut flowers should be uniform size.
- Rose blooms should be 1/2 to 3/4 open at judging time.
- Multiple blooms from the same variety of flower or plant shown in one exhibit - the quality, variety of the blooms and the artistic effect of the exhibit will be judged.
- Decorative arrangements – the use of fresh flowers organized to create an attractive display. Containers are considered and any live foliage or plant may be used as well.
- Chief points of design: colour, harmony, distinction and condition of blooms and relation to container.
- Cut flowers – flower with foliage should be chosen.
- A stem may have one or more branches.
Classes 1 to 20 1st - $4.00, 2nd - $3.00, 3rd - $2.00
Special A as indicated
Classes 21 to 29 1st - $6.00, 2nd - $5.00, 3rd - $3.00
Specials B to G as indicated
(Plant pot diameter, length, width not to exceed 10” - (approx. 25 cm) unless otherwise specified)
- African violet – single crown, single or double bloom
- Aloe Vera
- Begonia – flowering
- Cactus or succulent (eg. Kalanchoe)
- Geranium – any variety
- Ivy – any variety
- Spider plant
- Any other flowering plant not listed above – must be named
- Any other foliage house plant not listed above – must be named
(Attached leaves only. No additional foliage)
11. Cosmos – 1 stem
12. Dahlia – 1 stem – any variety
13. Daisy-like flower – 3 stems – any variety
14. Hydrangea – 1 stem
15. Rose – floating in a bowl
16. Rose – hybrid tea – 1 stem
17. Sunflower – ornamental – 3 stems – same variety
18. Zinnia – 3 stems – same variety
19. Vase of mixed annuals – minimum of 3 varieties
20. Vase of mixed perennials – minimum of 3 varieties
Special A: Best cut flower(s) in classes 11 to 20 – Sponsored by ACE - Peel Hardware and Supply 1st - $20.00 voucher
Classes 21 – 28 ONLY – APPLE accents must be used – may be fresh, dried, silk. Candles permissible.
21. “Apple of My Eye” – An arrangement for a loved one using crisp apples.
22. “As Canadian As Apple Pie” – An arrangement in a pie plate
23. “Harvest Table”– Centrepiece arrangement
24. “The Royal Family” – Exhibitor’s interpretation
25. “The McIntosh Clan” – Using plaid as an accent
26. “Red Delicious” – Red arrangement
27. “Ginger Gold” – Arrangement using orange and yellow flowers
28. “Northern Spy – A Little Mystery” – Exhibitor’s interpretation
Special B : Best Arrangement in all classes 21 to 28. Not necessarily 1st in Class. Sponsored by Salisbury Garden Supplies. 1st - $50.00
Special C : Exhibitor scoring the most points in classes 1-28. Sponsored by Stephanie’s Greenhouse. 1st - $50.00 voucher
Special D : New exhibitor scoring the most points in section 48, classes 1 to 28. Sponsored by ACE - Peel Hardware and Supply. 1st - $20.00 voucher
Special E: “Don’t Sit Under the Apple Tree With Anyone Else But Me”– presented in a container. Must include these four elements: stone, wood, metal & plant material. exhibitor’s interpretation (accents may be used) – Sponsored by Glen Echo Nurseries Inc., 15070 Airport Rd., Caledon East 1st - $50.00 voucher, 2nd - $25.00 voucher, 3rd - $20.00 voucher
Special F: “Apple of My Eye” – exhibitor’s interpretation (accents may be used) Sponsored by the Christie Family in memory of Florence Christie. 1st – $15.00
Special G: “Pick of the Crop” – Arrangement in a basket or pail. Sponsored by Donna Wanless, Re/Max Real Estate Services Ltd. 1st - $25.00