SECTION 44 - ADULT FLOWERS
Convenors: Eleanor Cation 905-843-2759
Marlene McClure 905-838-5416
Associates: Marsha Christie, Connie D’Sousa, Helen Dunstan, Joan Ewan, Shirley Grice, Jeanette Langevin, Glenda Richardson, Donna Wanless & Renie Wilson
- Flowers must be grown by exhibitor unless otherwise specified.
- Plants must be in possession of the exhibitor at least two months prior to show.
- Weighted containers must be used for top-heavy exhibits.
- Please write “New Exhibitor” on the back of entry tag if you are a new exhibitor to this section.
- This section is for non-professionals only.
- Ontario Judging and Exhibiting Standards for Horticulture and Floral Design will be the accepted guide for judging. http://www.gardenontario.org/abo/judging.php
- Containers must be leak proof to be judged.
- Container for floral arrangement should be compatible in size to floral arrangement (floral arrangement approx. 1.5 times the size of container).
- Plant pot diameter not to exceed 8” unless otherwise specified.
- Decorative arrangements do not contain soil.
- Plants infested with insects will be disqualified and removed from exhibit hall.
- Cut flowers should be uniform size.
- Rose blooms should be 1/2” to 3/4” open at judging time.
- Multiple blooms from the same variety of flower or plant shown in one exhibit - the quality, variety of the blooms and the artistic effect of the exhibit will be judged.
- Decorative arrangements – the use of fresh flowers organized to create an attractive display. Containers are considered and any live foliage or plant may be used as well.
- Chief points of design: colour, harmony, distinction and condition
- Cut flowers – flower with foliage should be chosen.
- A stem may have one or more branches.
Classes 1 to 20 1st - $4.00, 2nd - $3.00, 3rd - $2.00
Special A as indicated
Classes 21 to 30 1st - $6.00, 2nd - $5.00, 3rd - $3.00
Specials B to G as indicated
(Plant pot diameter not to exceed 10" unless otherwise specified)
- African violet – single crown, single or double bloom
- Begonia – flowering
- Cactus or succulent
- Coleus – any variety
- Fern – any variety
- Geranium – any variety
- Herb garden – 3 or more in pot – named – pot not to exceed 10”
- Trailing plant
- Any other flowering plant not listed above
- Any other foliage house plant not listed above
11. Dahlia - 1 stem - any variety
12. Daisy-like flower - 3 stems - any variety
13. Grass - ornamental - 3 stems - any variety
14. Hydrangea - 3 stems - same variety
15. Rose - fragrant - 1 stem
16. Rose - hybrid tea - 1 stem
17. Sunflower - ornamental - 3 stems - any variety
18. Zinnia - 3 stems- same variety
19. Vase of mixed annuals - minimum of 5 varieties
20. Vase of mixed perennials - minimum of 5 varieties
A. Special: Best cut flowers in classes 11 to 20 - Sponsored by ACE - Peel Hardware and Supply . 1st - $20.00
Classes 21 – 30 ONLY – accents may be fresh, dried, silk
21. "Bee Mine" - romantic theme
22. "Bee-utiful" - suitable for a dining table
23. "Busy Bees" - exhibitor's interpretation
24. "Farmer's Market" - arrangement in a basket
25. "Hives" - using wild flowers
26. "How Sweet It is" - exhibitor's interpretation
27. "Johnny Appleseed" - exhibitor's interpretation
28. "Mellow Yellow/Black Jack" - yellow flowers in a black container
29. "Shades of Brilliance" - using candle(s) as accent
30. "Visions of Autumn" = arrangement in a mug
B. Special: Best Arrangement classes 21 to 30 . Sponsored by Salisbury Garden Supplies. 1st - $50.00
C. Special: “Garden of Eden” – presented in a container, must include these four elements: stone, wood, metal & plant material. Sponsored by Glen Echo Nurseries Inc., 15070 Airport Road, Caledon East, ON Tel: 905-584-9973 1st - $50.00 voucher, 2nd - $25.00 voucher, 3rd - $20.00 voucher.
D. Special: New exhibitor scoring the most points in section 44, classes 1 to 20 and 21 to 30. Sponsored by ACE - Peel Hardware and Supply. 1st - $20.00 voucher
E. Special: “Don’t Sit Under the Apple Tree With Anyone Else But Bee” – exhibitor’s interpretation (accents may be used) – Sponsored by the Christie Family in memory of Florence Christie. 1st - $10.00
F. Special: “Ravishing Red” – using apple accents – Sponsored by Donna Wanless, Re/Max Real Estate Services Ltd. 1st – $10.00, 2nd - $6.00, 3rd - $4.00
G. Special: Exhibitor scoring the most points in classes 1 to 20 and 21 to 30. Sponsored by Stephanie’s Greenhouse. 1st - $50.00 voucher